PARK(ing) Day (20 points)
What is PARK(ing) Day? It's a day when people put a temporary mini-park in a parking spot instead of a car! It's a fun way to demonstrate how much of our land is taken up by cars!
PARK(ing) Day (Vermont) is scheduled for 5/16, but you can run the event on any day that works for your school.
How it works:
1) Talk to your principal/school administration and get permission for the event and work with them on the logistics, safety and location at least a few weeks in advance. (Preference is for high-visibility locations that are also safe)
2) Once you have chosen your location (at least one, and hopefully many! parking spots), have people sign up for their own "mini-park" and let them come up with their own fun themes for their park.
3) On the day you've chosen for your PARK(ing) Day, have people start setting up their mini-parks in their designated PARK(ing) spot. Ideally, the mini-parks will be set up all day, but even just a half-hour of mini-park enjoyment is a great way to show how our land could be used in many different ways for our community.
4) Make it fun! Have a party! This is meant to be a light-hearted playful event!
HOW TO EARN POINTS
Information needed to receive points for this event:
- Estimated number of Students participating.
- Estimated number of Staff participating.
When you’re ready to report your events, you can log your activities here: Way to Go! Activity & Event Log.
While this manual is for the use of a metered parking spot, you can use a lot of the same tips for decorating your parking lot spot!