Harness your natural energy and enjoy the great outdoors. Walking, biking, skateboarding or riding a scooter is a healthy way to get to school. It’s also healthier for the environment. A short, four-mile round-trip bicycle commute keeps almost 15 pounds of pollutants out of the air.
NEED HELP TO PLAN A SAFE TRIP?
Safe Routes to Schools has developed several resources to assist schools in their education and outreach activities. Below are three helpful links to assist school leaders with tools and resources to map out routes for safe biking and walking.
- Local Motion is a member-supported non-profit promoting people-powered transportation and recreation in Vermont. >> 802.652.BIKE (2453) >> www.localmotion.org/.
- vBike offers consults and biking workshops for eAssist bikes and more. Contact: Dave Cohen at email@example.com.
- CATMA: The Chittenden Area Transportation Management Association (CATMA) provides employees of its institutions and business members with a $15 reward for biking or walking to/from work on a regular basis. For more information, call or visit the CATMA website. >> 802.656.RIDE (7433) >> www.catmavt.org
- Montpelier Alive: The Montpelier Downtown Community Association (MDCA), now Montpelier Alive, was formed in 1999 to focus on the revitalization of the downtown. Contact Suzanne Hechmer for any questions regarding biking and walking. >> 802.223.9604 >> www.montpelieralive.org
In Middlebury/Addison County
- Walk-Bike Council of Addison County is a citizen-based advocacy organization committed to making improvements in the region. To learn more, visit: http://www.walkbikeaddison.org/
- For more information, guidance or to help, contact Middlebury Safe Routes Coordinator Laura Asermily at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To stay informed, consider joining the active: email@example.com
- For transit and bike connections contact: Mary Crogan, ACTR at firstname.lastname@example.org
In Upper Valley
- For bike safety workshops, transportation efficiency experts or to seek guidance and assistance, contact: Bethany Fleishman at email@example.com
- The Rutland Area Physical Activity Coalition: works towards creating a healthier, more physically active Rutland County. >> 802.870.6722 >> www.walkbikerutland.org
- Freeride Montpelier: Promotes bicycling by providing affordable used bikes and community-wide access to the tools, skills and information necessary for bike maintenance and safe riding. >> www.freeridemontpelier.org
- Walk Score/Bike Score/Transit Score: Enter an address into this online tool and see how walkable, bike-able, and transit friendly it is. Results also include a map showing nearby amenities. >> redfin.com/how-walk-score-works
- Gmaps Pedometer: Uses Google’s mapping application to help record distances traveled and calories burned during a running or walking workout. >> http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
- Bicycle Commuter Tax Benefits: >> Bicycle Benefits www.nctr.usf.edu/programs/clearinghouse/commutebenefits